Amazon Fire HD7 (Android) will not run more than one task concurrently

Yavanius
Yavanius
Joined: 16 Jul 15
Posts: 21
Credit: 213,703
RAC: 0
Topic 91095

On my Amazon Fire HD 7: https://albertathome.org/host/13576

I was having an issue with Albert@home and WCG where the WUs would get stuck in a short repeating cycle in the middle of processing a WU. Basically it would keep flipping back 10 seconds roughly, hit the same point and back up again. Pausing the client and restarting it wouldn't cure it. Force stopping seems to help although it seemed most of the time I seem to have had to restart the tablet.

 

That was on 7.4.14, which was in the Amazon store (a newer version supposedly was uploaded but it never showed up). I went and sideloaded 7.14.41 within the last couple days and it seemed all was well initially then I saw the same issue, although the cycle seems closer to 30 seconds or more now. I did not notice any issues with WCG being affected.

 

After a little more playing around I discovered when running more one WU at the same time this issue occurs. At the moment I have two WUs going. I suspended one and the other one proceeds just fine. I have a Fire HDX I 8.9 (3rd gen) that runs it just fine as well as other Android devices. If I try to get both to run, in very short time this issue repeats itself.

 

Another thing I had noted on 7.4.14 shortly before updating the client, was that I had some WUs were registering as 100% yet 2-3 hours later they were still running. I finally aborted the tasks. I also noted I had some computation errors (I've never managed to get an Albert WU to finish previously and I'm still a little whiles out on the current WUs with .41) which I don't know are related. I do know on my HDX that when running while the tablet is active that some apps didn't play nice with BOINC and would cause WUs to result when causing BOINC to suspend due to the CPU utilization. However, I haven't had that issue in a whiles which makes me think that it was a problem with the apps (one a game and the other a ported web browser).

 

I've never seen any error messages in the log although on .14 I would see some errors in the GUI log although nothing mentioning the project. I don't have any GUI errors appearing in .41 though.

Holmis
Holmis
Joined: 4 Jan 05
Posts: 89
Credit: 2,104,736
RAC: 0

Aside from the tasks you've

Aside from the tasks you've aborted all the failed tasks reports the exit status as: 196 (0xc4) EXIT_DISK_LIMIT_EXCEEDED
The stderr log shows:

<core_client_version>7.4.41</core_client_version>
<![CDATA[
<message>
Maximum disk usage exceeded
</message>

What are your settings for disk usage?
Check that in the Boinc client on the device as I think Boinc for Android only uses local prefs.
How much free disk space do you have on the device?

Others are able to complete the tasks so I suspect something is wrong/misconfigured on your device.

Yavanius
Yavanius
Joined: 16 Jul 15
Posts: 21
Credit: 213,703
RAC: 0

Holmis wrote:Aside from the

Message 80586 in response to message 80585

Holmis wrote:

Aside from the tasks you've aborted all the failed tasks reports the exit status as: 196 (0xc4) EXIT_DISK_LIMIT_EXCEEDED
The stderr log shows:

<core_client_version>7.4.41</core_client_version>
<![CDATA[
<message>
Maximum disk usage exceeded
</message>

What are your settings for disk usage?
Check that in the Boinc client on the device as I think Boinc for Android only uses local prefs.
How much free disk space do you have on the device?

Others are able to complete the tasks so I suspect something is wrong/misconfigured on your device.

 

With BOINC running, I have 2gb free space easily and available memory is 500+mb. I moved the slider over a notch and it's at 600+mb. BOINC is set to leave at least 0.1 gb free and use up to 90% of disk space.

 

Now, the odd thing is back on .14, I was fiddling with the storage settings and I cleared a little bit of storage on the Fire and it ran okay for a little whiles even though there was plenty of space before.

Within 30 seconds of starting a second fresh WU, the loop starting happening again. I restarted the Fire and after 3 minutes both WUs are working just fine, for now. It looks like the one that was running by itself erred out too at some point. Unless there is some kind of leak causing the disk to fill it, I don't see over a gig of space being used by an Android WU.

WCG runs just fine. I don't have any other projects running at the moment but Engima has run successfully on it.

Yavanius
Yavanius
Joined: 16 Jul 15
Posts: 21
Credit: 213,703
RAC: 0

I get this on Einstein too.

I get this on Einstein too. BUT I can run Einstein and Albert together at the same time.

Yavanius
Yavanius
Joined: 16 Jul 15
Posts: 21
Credit: 213,703
RAC: 0

I figured it out... kind off.

I figured it out... kind off. I know where the issue is although I don't know why.

 

Einstein/Albert WUs don't like it when other WUs are working too. If I use just a single core, WUs seem to run just fine. However, as I add more cores, the problem worsens. At four cores, WUs get stuck in a 2 second cycle. Everything else works fine though...

Yavanius
Yavanius
Joined: 16 Jul 15
Posts: 21
Credit: 213,703
RAC: 0

Just to note that at some

Just to note that at some point, possibly with a newer BOINC version or an upgrade to Fire OS 5 (Android 5) that this problem disappeared. I just happened to note this a few months ago so I don't if it was one or the other or both.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.